Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

How long have I been fat for?

Ok, thinking back I have been overweight since I was about 7 years old. It all started when I had my tonsils out. From my memory up to then, I was thin like every other child, and active, playing out, cycling etc.

From that day I have always battled with my weight.

I also remember in my teens, going to weight watchers with my mum, how embarrassing was that, going to a diet club at the age of about 17. Nether the less, I reached my goal and showed them all how to do it.

Then I put it all on and more. At the age of about 25 I suffered with depression and that knocked me for a bit, but again got through that.

At the age of 30, I realized I needed to do something, so I purchased a bike, went cycling every night and went on the good old WW again, and started shifting it again.

I then met up with my current wife a year or so later, and this is when I really started putting a lot of weight on, I know the reason behind this, basically too many takeaways, my job doesn't help as im on the road all day and my car turns left into fast food chains and petrol garages and a sandwich looks lonely without a packet of crisps and a few chocolate bars.

It hasn't helped that I had a back injury that left me numb from the waist down, and I was taken into hospital in October 2005, on my arrival they did a scan on me, and within the hour I was rushed into a ambulance and rushed over to Addenbrookes on blues and twos and operated on within the hour. I didn't know at the time, but I had two discs cutting into my spinal cord.

The professor told my then girlfriend (now my wife) that I had 50% chance of ever walking again, and I made a full recovery, so I am so stupid to have piled on the weight cause it does affect my back and cause me pain.

So again tried all the diets and have had no will power.

It was at this point my doctors suggested surgery. At first I was turned down, due to my BMI and no other known problems.

So my doctor suggested a sleep study and I was diagnosed with OSA. We then applied again and here I am, on the programme and soon to be having my surgery I hope.

I would just like to say I don't blame anyone for my weight gain apart from myself and I hope I haven't bored you with my story, but feel its important to share.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gary,

    just wanted to say ive got a list of useful websites on my blog - feel free to nick them!

    Good luck on your journey x

    ReplyDelete